Saturday, August 9, 2008

Tofu for the doubters


Some of you out there may have certain ideas about tofu and its tastiness (cough...Dad...cough). Ben used to be one of those people too. I would mention a potentially good recipe and he would raise his eyebrows or wrinkle his nose or just say no.

When he took his recent two week trip to Chicago, however, I went to the commissary and gleefully bought a package of tofu to cook for me, just me. I also bought some stir fry sauce from the local supermarket. The sauce I have is a product of the U.K., so if you're one of my loyal American readers, good luck finding it, but it's Sweet Soy and Roasted Red Chili, so you could try using a combination of, oh, maybe soy sauce and chili sauce.

Then, I sat at home, alone. And I pondered what I wanted to do with my previously forbidden tofu and my tasty looking new sauce. I ended up deciding to stir fry the tofu with some snow peas, scallions, and portabella mushroom and serve it over some soba noodles that we had lying around. And it was SO. GOOD.

It was so good, in fact, that I thought I could make it for Ben and he would probably eat it without making barfy faces or gagging sounds. So when he returned, I told him my plans. He looked at me doubtfully but agreed to try it. And lo and behold, Mikey liked it! He liked it enough that he agreed to tofu for dinner again the next night! And he's eaten it multiple times since then! It's a miracle!

So for the doubters, my Yummy and Easy Tofu Stir Fry That Ben Not Only Chokes Down But Actually Likes.

Serves 2

Ingredients:
1/2 block firm tofu, cubed
2 tsp each minced garlic and ginger, or if you want it easy a few spoonfuls of jarred minced garlic and ginger stir fry seasoning
1 cup snow peas
2 cups portabella mushrooms, chopped
2 cups scallions, chopped
90 grams (about 3 ounces) soba noodles
Sweet Soy and Roasted Chili Stir Fry Sauce (or something close to that)


Heat a little oil in a pan, add ginger, garlic and tofu and cook until lightly browned. Set aside.
While the tofu is cooking, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add soba noodles. Boil for about 5 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water, and set aside.


Heat a little oil in a wok, or if you are wok-less like me, a large pan, and add the vegetables. Stir fry for a few minutes until they are nice and cooked. Add tofu and stir fry sauce and stir together for another minute until everything is heated through.




Serve over soba noodles.

Yum!

Proof that Ben eats tofu:


And likes it:

Delicious!

The baby liked it too...

Baby's gonna be so disappointed when he comes out and doesn't get fun foods anymore. At least not until he can chew. Then we'll go nuts.

No comments: