Monday, August 4, 2008


I love cookies. A lot. And in my mind, nothing come close to the chocolate chip cookie. Yeah, sure, it's fun to have double chocolate raspberry caramel macadamia nut cookies dipped in white chocolate, but for pure cookie enjoyment I can't help but go back to the old standard.

So it might be a little surprising that I have just now gotten around to making the New York Times recipe from a whole MONTH ago! But the problem, you see, is that I already have my perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. I found it a few years ago, made a few slight modifications, and haven't been able to beat it since. And then I recently found another that looked really good that I wanted to try. And then, I read the article that goes with the New York Times recipe and know that I have to experiment with chilling the dough for different amounts of time. Do you get where I'm going here? Not only do I have new recipes to test out, I also have to make test batches after different periods of time in the fridge and compare them to my own fail proof recipe. That's a lot of chocolate chip cookie making! Not to mention the fact that Ben was gone so I couldn't send cookies to work with him, I needed to make biscotti for a going away gift for one of his coworkers, and I had to bake Ben a fabulous cake for his birthday last week. That's a lot of baking! And a girl can only eat so many cookies. You might think it would be easier for me being 9 months pregnant because I should be able to sit down with my round self and polish off a batch of cookies, right? Wrong. There is no room in my stomach. And I've been pretty healthy throughout my pregnancy, so now when I eat too many cookies, the sugar overload makes me feel really yucky. So no cookie binges here.

All this to get to the point that last night I FINALLY made the fabulous cookies that the baking world was buzzing about weeks ago. And they were, in fact, fabulous.



The jury (consisting of me and Ben) is still out on whether they replace my chocolate chip cookie recipe or not.

Pros: They are really delicious. They are absolutely gorgeous. They live up to all the promises of the article. I feel like I could be buying them for too much money from an expensive bakery.

Cons: They call for cake flour and bread flour and that seems a little pretentious to me. The recipe makes a massive batch of dough compared to my usual recipe, but the quantities don't seem easy to cut in half, so I'm stuck with a big batch of cookies. You have to let the dough sit for at least 24 hours. That means advance planning for what should be one of the kinds of cookies you whip up on a lazy afternoon.

I think there will be further deliberation this evening after we have both snacked on more cookies today. I have a feeling, though, that these cookies will stay, but only with special occasion status. Even though they are so so so good, there's just not enough room in my regular baking rotation for pretentious chocolate chip cookies. My recipe will stick around as our old faithful. And no, I'm not sharing my own recipe. I'm a cookie tease.

No comments: